Monday, October 3

is there a birthday in the house?!

Today - October 3rd, 2011 - marked the 13th birthday of my oldest, Daniel. Thursday night my son insisted I tell him the story how his father & I met and how he was born. I managed to keep it PG-13 and easy for him to understand. He fell asleep that night with new information about his life. I sometimes forget that the kids don't remember that stuff and that I hadn't really told him about that happy time our life.

He woke up Friday am with a new haircut & I spiked it up - he looked so handsome, looking older than 13.. that's for sure.

After school, I ran a few errands - a surprise party was planned for that evening. He didn't know.. or wasn't supposed to know.. I think he knew though.. We arrived late to the party but everything was DELICIOUS and he was surrounded by friends and family that love him. It was fun!!

I had to work all day Saturday & then the kids spent the night. Of course, miss Lily is a little jealous of all the attention being given to Daniel. She didn't quite understand why this birthday was so special. She will when she turns 13 in two years. *geez.. I feel old*

So today was his official birthday.. I thought about him all day long: praying for him, his decisions, and the future. Its hard to believe that 13 years have gone by. I remember the joy I felt when I had him. I remember feeling blessed & a sense of true love and overwhelming feeling of family... That joy & feeling has only intensified with each year. No matter whether it be a good or bad year - and even though I'm a single mom and their father is completely out of the picture - I still feel a deep and sincere sense of family and love.

As I prepare for bed, my mind is flooding with memories of him growing up - I can honestly say that it hasn't felt like 13 years have gone by. I certainly don't feel old enough to have a teenager.. *benefit of having my kids so young*  I hope the next 13 years don't go by as quickly as these have.. I want to cherish every second I still have with my kiddos.



*sigh* my baby boy is growing up.. he's starting to mature into a young man.

No comments:

Post a Comment