Wednesday, September 7

Deeds

1 Timothy Chapter 6 verse 18 & 19


"Let them do good, that they be rich in good works, ready to give, willing to share, storing up for themselves a good foundation for that time to come, that they may lay hold on eternal life." NKJV

Today began as any other normal day. RAIN. harbored ideas of building an ark. HA HA!! Work was crazy! The computers were down and we had to total every bill / calculate by hand. I'm ok with that sort of thing though - it reminds me of my great-grandparents & the ledgers they used to keep for their store. One customer today said "what a pain in the butt that has to be!" I replied, "I look at it this way, it keeps me grounded in the basics and humble - - thankful for technology when it works." He got a great smile on his face. It was nice in the sea of panicked people rushing in for sump pumps. Heard numerous stories over the course of the day that touched my heart in so many ways it was unreal! People that have NEVER had water in their FINISHED basements were now dealing with (not just inches) but FEET of water - - *sigh* and the sump pumps weren't keeping up with the water coming in. Breaks my heart! A good reason to pray!!!

I was particularly praying for some friends of mine - their house is basically a shell of what a house is supposed to be. They have to collect the water as it runs down the walls, etc.. It's a shame too because the family has been through a lot over the last few years. They deserve better AND they are one of the kindest families you could meet. So.. as I mentioned to a friend to help pray for them a customer overheard and said "are they really in need?!" I replied, "yes, you can't get much more in need than they currently are." He handed me his business card (construction) told me to have them call him, because his church funds repairs / construction for families in need (locally). I almost started to bawl. I hugged him! thanked him over and over and immediately passed the message along. I sincerely pray that this is a worth while avenue for this family! It's amazing how our God works and the possibilities that might be available that we wouldn't think are possible. Simply because I asked a friend to help me pray for their well being during this rainy week.. and people say that God isn't watching or listening?!

Oh! then!!! I got a phone call from a friend & fellow co-worker that the school was closing early. I am glad she called me or else I wouldn't have known! A huge!!! thanks to her or else it could have been a major issue today!!! She's such a dear heart & I know why God has placed her in my life. Luckily my Mom's school had already let out early & she was home to collect Daniel off the bus.

Meanwhile, I was busy running back / forth in the store w/ various tasks and around the corner came my friend Melissa from www.lifewithlissy.com!! It was good to see her! She looked GREAT! This morning was her interview on B98.3FM ! I heard that it went GREAT!!! I'm so proud of her and her blog & the great things she's been doing! God has truly blessed me with a friend like her. Inspiring me in so many ways!!! I pray for her success! Currently, she's collecting blog followers for more giveaways & more! I pray for her everyday and try to help as much as possible. God placed upon my heart to start petitioning / mentioning her name on several radio station pages on Facebook and emails etc.. B98.3 FM was the first (and only) to respond to me to ask her to appear. I'm praying the others will hear how great she did on today's show and will ask her to appear on their stations as well. Anyone with suggestions / ideas & phone numbers, contacts, etc.. I'd be GLAD to pass them along to her!! She's an amazing wife, mother, and friend/sister!

And the day continued....

The computers began to work and the day took a turn towards normal - but very busy - I started back into inventory. I was continuously interrupted by customers & phone calls. It was a bit hectic. One customer in particular needed two sump pumps. He's a disabled man and called ahead and reserved them. He called back, asking for me by name - requesting they be delivered if possible. Believe or not, it was possible. So, time drew closer to when my co-worker (whom gracious agreed to run it out to him) was getting prepared to leave - the customer called again. This time he requested TWO 100 lb filled propane cylinders to be added to his list to be delivered. I didn't hesitate in saying yes. He needed them. I hurriedly set that into motion. I, again, returned to inventory. The customer called again.. this time w/ instructions on where he wanted my co-worker to pull into his driveway, closest to the basement etc etc.. I rushed out to catch my co-worker and explain this to him. Some where in between that & returning to inventory.. it was brought to my attention that I should have obtained permission for the delivery of the tanks in addition to the sump pumps. I agreed, but felt badly because I didn't mean to mess up and got caught up in the NEED of the customer (*and the addition of the tanks meant a $700 order for us today*). I returned to inventory - fuming a little - swallowing my hurt & asking God to help me to clear my mind & focus on the inventory & stop feeling hurt. I later realized with the hectic day we were having that I needed to forgive myself and my co-workers (especially if we were snipping at each other a little) because we were super super busy & it was stressing for all of us. I'm sure my customer was completely satisfied w/ our customer service and will say many good things about our friendly deed. In the end, that's what matters.


A little while later, the phone rang at work again and from behind me (*while doing inventory*) I heard "ohh April. oh buddy oh pal" HA HA I laughed. It was the boss.. and I KNEW what he was going to ask.. My co-worker (night cashier) was due to come in shortly and I had a feeling I was going to be asked to stay. HA HA and that is EXACTLY what it was HA HA It was better / safer that she stay home & since I live next door - it was just logical that I stay. Luckily it was a good night & I could stay. I am glad for her decision to stay safe & NOT try to make it in and I was more than happy to help. Besides, I had just been off for a week and she & the other cashiers covered for me during that time. I wouldn't dare say no.

Had I not stayed - I would not have gotten the inspiration for this blog. I witnessed so many different DEEDS today & the effect they have - - the example they show. I think it shows great character in a person that someone can rely on you for a favor or friendly deed - - and that you act upon it w/out questioning - - especially if that person is one that has hurt you deeply. I witnessed that today also. I felt a little strange at first, but then realized.. how trustworthy this person must be that even though life is taking these two people in different directions - that one can still rely on the other for a favor. WOW!!! I think it also shows that the person that did the hurting could see who to trust. Just as an example.. I truly screwed up during my second marriage. I hurt that man in ways that to SOME would be unforgivable (*just ask his mother LOL*).. Still to this day, I know that if I needed something I could call on him (*or even his wife*) and they would be willing to help. Heck - you should have seen some of the looks I received when I was seen w/ him & his wife & little boy while visiting / talking at the carnival! HA HA The idea that we've both moved on - forgiven each other - and found a friendship that can withstand the pain we caused for ourselves & our family should be an example to others.. I am glad that God enabled us to have peace between each other. It's a mighty AWESOME feeling to know that God is still the healer of ALL kinds of wounds, especially when you're receptive to Him.

The rest of the night went well. We got numerous phone calls asking for sump pumps. Sadly, we ran out! The night went quickly though because the crew was getting along so well and customers were coming / going steadily. It didn't seem like long at all. I got home and called my parents to bring the kids down. It wasn't long before it was bedtime. The kids made it into bed on time and I settled into the quiet of the house to reflect on the day...

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful day April. You're a light in this rainy stormy day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahh Thank you! But this one is God's.. He is the Light that shines on my keyboard when I'm smart enough to notice what He is trying to tell me :)

    ReplyDelete